April 18, 2007

I push open the front door. Man, it's cold out here today. I can feel the moisture on my lips freezing every time I breath out. I watch the ground as I walk and notice the shadow that falls diagonally on the maroon carpet that covers the deck outside the apartment building. Who would put carpet on cement. Outside. In Minnesota. As I reach the steps I can see the cement showing through. Gosh that looks pathetic. I wonder if they'll replace it. I avoid those spots as I take each step. My feet are slow today. I guess though, not much slower than they are every other day I leave to go to work. Jeez, It's really cold out today. I take a left when I reach the bottom. Past the bushes that line the stairs and past the old wooden sign that names the apartment building. Didn't that sign used to have a phone number listed. It probably fell off. Everything is falling apart here. I look to my right as I hear the sound of an old car behind me. I know it's old because it sounds like old people would have if they were cars. It's the sound of something that's spent too much time on this earth. I wish I still had my Camaro. Man I loved that car. I remember it looked mad after I crashed it. The front end bent down in a snarl. If I ever get a chance I'll get another one. I reach the corner and plan out where I will be able to cross the street. The sun hits my eyes but I don't raise my hand to shield them. I cross the side street and move into a shadow. It's still really cold. I shift down to the middle of the block until I'm directly across from my car. I pull my keys from my purse and slid them into my pocket. Maybe I should get a parking spot in the garage next year. Ah, forget it. I can't afford it. Two cars from the right and one from the left and then you're clear. I take my time crossing 1st avenue while I push the unlock button on the key less entry keypad. Why does this stupid thing never work when I push it. I reach my car door just as a midsized sedan rushes past me. Speed a little more, dumb-ass. I climb in the car and pull on the inside handle. Well, it's not any warmer in here. I put the key in the ignition and feel the vibration of the engine turning. I make sure the defrost is set how I like it and I turn down the radio. You left it turned up again. You gotta remember to turn that down. That's probably why the stereo sounds funny. I close my eyes for a minute and try to shut out the cold. I lean my head back and then remember to re-lock my doors. I pull my head forward and take a look out the windshield. I see him with his white cane and his backpack. He's reached the corner. I tilt my head to see if any cars are coming up behind me. I know he's listening for them. That's gotta be hard. I wonder if you get super human hearing if you're blind. As I look back up I see him take that first step off of the curb and at the same time I notice the car coming toward him from the opposite direction. Oh Shit! I see him reel back when he finally hears the car and I can feel the fear and see it on his face. I wonder if he knows he looks scared. It took 15 seconds for him to regain his courage but I can see in the way he finally crosses the street that he's not as confident as he first was when he reached the intersection. Dammit, why is life like that. I can't stand the way his face looked. Every time we step out and think we'll make it across something comes along and nearly kills us making it harder to try to get across again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that was a dumb ending.. sorryy!!